Jun 18, 2009

Sue Them Sue Everybody

�Must brother really go to law with brother, and that before unbelievers? ... Why not rather submit to injury? Why not rather submit to being deprived of something?� (1 Corinthians 6:7-8 RSV).

When our son died I was told by our church lawyer that we had a case for a lawsuit against the college he was attending. He had tried to commit suicide there and they never contacted us. At the time it was the last thing I wanted, for I had sense enough to know that these are not simple things.

The cry of the land seems to be, �Sue them!� I�ve watched with interest the proliferation of these frivolous lawsuits and always I wonder, �What does God think of all this nonsense?� I realize there are legitimate reasons for some lawsuits, but this has gotten blasphemous. Years ago there was a story in the paper about a little girl who didn�t get her toy in the Cracker Jax box. Her father sued! I thought, what an ideal opportunity for Dad to sit little Princess down and tell her the facts of life: sometimes we don�t get our toys! That�s life, child!

�Why not submit to being deprived of something?� It�s a great idea, but in today�s aura of rights and things, I rather doubt this would fly. But it would certainly bring some peace to the earth, wouldn�t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment