Jul 2, 2009

Perspectives and Attitudes Teachers Can Fly

Last fall I went to visit my mother in Arizona. It was October, but the weather still favored those of us who like early moing coffees on outdoor patios. Mom has two hummingbird feeders on the patio, and to my delight, last year the speedy �mini�s� found their way to her home.

I confess, I sat on that patio for hours every day watching the doves, and especially the hummingbirds. They were my teachers.

As fast as a Ferrari may be, we humans have not yet captured the fierce mobility and speed of the hummingbird. Did you know that they flap their wings an average of 53 flaps per second? Their little hearts can beat up to 1260 beats per minute. Scientists believe they live 4-5 years, but have found some alive after 12 years.

They seemed to be nervous little creatures. They moved so quickly, so consistently, that even while they ate, they often kept on flapping! .

I found myself feeling irritated with my fast and furious friends. Why couldn�t they slow down? Why did them seem so suspicious of anything and everyone? Why didn�t they relax long enough to eat?

As the days went by and I allowed myself to relax, I noticed it was my own behavior that irritated me the most. Why did I have to be in such a flurry all the time? What made me think that a few moments to sit down and share a meal with others or myself would break the bank? Why must my life move at such a breakneck speed that people could hear the �hum� of my engines when I entered the room?

Several months have passed, and I am still thinking of my feathered teachers. In their own habitat what they do, and how they live, makes sense. But for me, I need to slow down. Life is too fleeting, to magical, to illusive to spend every day hurrying to my next activity.

Be aware of your own teachers � they are appointed as personal tutors. They appear in unusual clothing and often annoy us. You may find yourself angry with them, broken-hearted by them, pushed, or punished by them. They can accuse you, abuse you, or desert you. Sometimes they are your best friends, lovers, or �over-the-backyard-fence� neighbors. You can be either inspired or infuriated in their presence. Rarely will they announce they are your teacher, nor are they often �paid� what they deserve.

Sometimes, if you are lucky, they visit you in the park, the pond, the nest, the zoo, the forest, the sky, or the water.

You never know when to expect them, but they are easy to spot. When you sense yourself reacting to a situation or a person, either kindly or with agitation, there is your clue: you are back in class. If you are lucky like me, your teachers may hibeate or travel south for the winter. Do you think there might be a SAT test we could take and be done with it already?

My best advice; make peace with your teachers. Raise your hand before you speak, do the assignments, accept the corrections. And don�t forget the power of the apple!

Copyright 2006 Harmony Thiessen

Harmony Thiessen is an inspirational speaker and teacher. She has entertained and informed audiences around the world for over 20 years. With a keen sense of observation and curiosity, Harmony tus everyday events into timeless applications. You can receive her free monthly subscription to Jelly Beans For Life at http://www.smartmarketingsense.com/jellybeans.html Harmony is available for speaking engagements and weekly or monthly columns.

No comments:

Post a Comment