Oct 14, 2009

Steady-Ed.

Steady-Ed. Ed Hixon, or "Steady Ed", as he was affectionately called by his students, he was my teacher education guide. Mr. Hixon is just one of many teachers, their impressions on me. Over the years there is a common pleasure in my family, when I see a driver that is not according to certain rules of education or less, a reasonable left, I would joke, "he (she) And of course, is not as stable as a guide teacher. "My son, if he is leaing to drive, Ed heard some words of wisdom on the actual driving techniques.Mr. Hixon, as many teachers, a mystic, who is around him over the decades. One of the legends that his was limp was caused by a case of polio years before. Rumors circulated that he also some 'players' baseball league in his youth. How to play the ball limp along and have never been resolved for any of us were able to verify either story. But one thing is true, who stutters when nervous. My opportunity to witness this phenomenon was a sunny day, when the three of us, together with Mr. Hixon, were on the road for our daily 60-minute lesson. (In my youth, driving a course of high school elective course during the school day.) Sharon (not her real name) was driving his 20-minute session. If Sharon has pushed, we were nervous. In fact, my friend and I, on the back seat, always fidgeted nervously, because we are assured that live there on foot. Driving and Sharon mixed like oil and water. We were on a road close to 15 mph and calmly tu Ed Sharon said: "Put your foot on the brake and slow down." Then he started to stutter, "Sl .. sl sl ... .. "As we headed for the ditch at about 30 mph Thank God for Mr. Hixon grabs quick feedback from the steering wheel and the brake extra. We went to another day to live, even if Ed could talk for a few minutes. I'm not sure, Sharon is always on the move test.Besides guide, Mr. Hixon me another important lesson. He was a strict disciplinarian in the classroom lessons. One day, my friend kept poking me. Finally, I hit his hand away. Of course, I was discovered, covered, and orally in severe conditions of class. My face is beet red, because I was not a manufacturer problem and was also a little 'embarrassing. Of course I was bummed, but said nothing, as I waited for the end class.The the next few days before the official class started, Mr. Hixon looked and told me before the whole class that was conscious of the fact that I am a victim of circumstances and apologized publicly. I was floored. But many decades later, I remember his very public admission of error and apology before my peers.Thus, Steady Ed has taught me not only the rules of the road, but an important lesson in life. A real man (woman) should not be afraid to admit mistakes. This authorization only increases my respect for him.Bob Casey is a poet, writer, educator, speaker and moderator. He cycles, walked, sailed and traveled to many distant countries. He spent a year teaching on a Fulbright in New Zealand. His many interests, including yoga, tai chi, skiing, cycling, photography, collection and wine. ? Bob poet? as his car license plate says, is currently chairman of the Ohio Poetry Association. This position allows him, with some of the best American poets. His first book, The Wanderer: A poetic jouey in 2002, based on its jouey around the world and lessons leaed. His latest book, the wisdom of the trip, which offers a different selection of poems, commentaries, cartoons and recommendations are met by? The best? your e-zine monthly poetry magazine, which has more than 13,000 subscribers worldwide. As a player? In a world of discontent, malice, greed and war, the poetry magazine is an oasis of nourishing the soul. His next book will be the end of 2006. For most of his work, go to

No comments:

Post a Comment